Friday, April 1, 2011

Rule #65

Bicycles must adhere to the Principle of Silence and as such must be meticulously maintained. No squeaks, creaks, or chain noise allowed. Only the soothing hum of your tires upon the tarmac and the rhythm of your breathing may be audible when riding. When riding the Pave, the sound of chain slap is acceptable. The Principle of Silence can be extended to say that if you are suffering such that your breathing begins to adversely effect the enjoyment of the other riders in the bunch, you are to summarily sit up and allow yourself to be dropped.

Against my better judgment I went on Mark Wise's Sunday Gunning Bedford ride last weekend. I haven't done that kind of effort in at least 5 years. I managed to hang in there for about 10 miles which is 9 miles more than I expected. After allowing myself to be dropped, I enjoyed an additional 30 miles at a leisurely (aka slow) pace!

No comments:

Post a Comment