Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 2 - Cherokee, NC

This is a conservative day in comparison. I decide I haven't fully recovered from the Day 1 ride from hell (or is that to hell) so I take it easy. The route starts with a few more climbs, then a screaming downhill followed by some gentle climbs, gentle compared to the previous day.

North Carolina has a single file law so riding in a group is different. Since most tour riders are uneasy in a "pace line" format I found it best to ride off the back. I made sure I took food with me today, but since it was a short mileage day with a lunch stop halfway, I'd be okay.

Riding off the back also gave me another opportunity to navigate on my own. I had studied this route because I knew there would be some tricky spots. Navigating with a gps is more than just laying out the route and loading it into the unit. I'm learning that just because you've laid out the route, the gps might read it different. It doesn't mean you'll get lost, but it might mean you'll get looped around to a few miles back, or you'll get messages to make a U-turn. Frustrating especially when you're not off route, scary when you're in an unfamiliar area.

A trip to the Dairy Queen in Cherokee topped off the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment