Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 3 - Mt. Pisgah

This would be the first day on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It would also be one of the hardest days with over 9,600 VF in 63 miles, with one of those climbs being the highest elevation on the parkway - over 6,000 feet. Carlton Bostic, a former WCBC president from the 1980s retired in the area and offered to sag our panniers to the Pisgah Inn. This was a wonderful offer and all but 1 took him up on it. At least we didn't have to lug 20-25 lbs up each climb. Not that we couldn't do it, it would just take us a little bit longer.

Fortunately the climbs were not steep, just very long. The Parkway has about 25 tunnels and I would ride through about half of them in 2 days. Lights are required on bicycles, in addition to riding single file. I was only a few miles onto the Parkway when a ranger passed and reminded me.

There's also numerous overlooks throughout the Parkway. Visibility wasn't as clear as I hoped, but it was still beautiful nonetheless.

Once again, I underestimated the climbs and the fuel needed to climb them as I failed to take adequate nourishment. We stopped around 14 miles into the ride. We actually exited the Parkway and stopped at Starvin' Marvin's on Rt. 19 at Soco Gap. It was an interesting place and popular among the cyclists - gas station, convenience store, gift shop, and trout farm. The guy who runs the place appeared to be Native American and he had some interesting and amusing photos and posters/signs on the walls.

We got back on the Parkway and headed to Waterrock Knob, at about mile 20. I would have loved to have seen the overlook but really wasn't ready to do the mile climb (on foot) to the top. Plus, at the rate we were moving, I figured it would take almost 12 hours to finish the ride. I was a little low on food despite having a snack at Starvin' Marvin's, and I just didn't want to spend $5 for a granola bar. I had already spent $4 on 2 16-oz bottles of water. Could have gotten free water from a nearby spring but you know what they say about drinking strange water. Figuring I could make it another 40+ miles - after all, it's only 40 miles - I continued onward forgetting the highest climb was yet to come. I also opted to ride solo at this point. My riding buddy was just a hair too slow for me and I felt I could make better progress without him.

At around mile 30 it was deja vu. I felt that same feeling I experienced on day 1...oh no, not again! Fortunately, I managed to avoid any cramps, but Mr. Bonk settled right in. When I got to the overlook at the highest point (mile 40), I wasn't sure whether the table I saw set up with food was a mirage or real. It turns out it was the sag wagon for people (who paid a lot of money) for a Blue Ridge Parkway bicycle tour put on by Black Bear Adventures. I asked one of the tour guides for 2 favors - to take my picture as proof I had made it to the highest point, and would they sell me a PB&J! Both missions accomplished, although the PB&J was free! As I left the overlook I could see the sky was getting dark and the roads were wet in places. Once again, God was on my shoulder as I managed to dodge the scattered showers. And even though I still had to climb up to the Pisgah Inn, the remaining 25 miles was somewhat gentle.

With about a mile to go I spotted the Pisgah Inn on the side of the mountain and all of the sudden had some new found energy. That final ascent seemed almost flat. I started to feel a few drops, but managed to make it to the Inn before the sky opened up.

The Pisgah Inn is quite historic and the original inn was built in 1919, however the modern inn began in the 1960s. The view from my room was spectacular. The wall facing the mountains was ceiling to floor glass with a sliding glass door that opened to a small porch, and the bed faced the view. I slept that night with the curtains and the sliding door open. It was awesome! Once again, life is good!

P.S. My riding buddy who I dumped at Waterrock Knob started a few minutes ahead of me and I never caught him until the end. Seems he found some energy (he hates it when women pass him). It took me around 8 hours to finish the ride, but I'm certain it would have taken 10 had I stayed with my buddy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment