Sunday, October 24, 2010

Ride to Eat, Eat to Ride

I started this a week ago but got side tracked by a hacker. So here it is a week later and life goes on.

Last Sunday (Oct 25) was White Clay Bicycle Club's Volunteers Brunch at Crabby Dick's in Delaware City. Crabby Dick's is located in what was the Old Canal Inn which was built in 1826 and served as a hotel for rich travelers. It sits at the end of Clinton Street overlooking the Delaware and is the oldest building in Delaware City.

Each year the club honors those who volunteer to help - either lead rides/tours, help on one of the major rides, or serve as a member of the executive committee. Since I led 3 tours this year, I qualified. I'm not sure of the exact count but there had to be 40-50 people. We had a room all to ourselves...and with good reason...have you ever been in a room full of sweaty cyclists??

Since Delaware City is only 4 miles from my house, I rode over to Newark to meet one of the other groups heading to the brunch. I needed to ride a few more miles to justify eating more food at the brunch than I would normally consume in week!

It was the usual brunch stuff - eggs, bacon, waffles, fruit, etc., and I made sure my plate was never empty, however, I don't quite have the bottomless pit that some of the riders have! While waiting for everyone to finish, I wondered around the restaurant. It wasn't very full at the time, most likely because the after church crowd wasn't there yet...or perhaps they got a whiff of a bunch of sweaty cyclists and decided to go elsewhere. I wondered into the bar...and there he was! Our eyes met - it was meant to be! This guy literally lost his head over me! Can't wait until next year when we meet again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment