Tuesday, October 26, 2010

October 25, 2010 - A Day to Forget...

I suspected something was wrong on Saturday when I got some sort of alert message that someone in Nigeria was using my account and that I should immediately change my password. Without hesitation I jumped to the "change password" link...but hesitated. Was it real? A scam? So, instead I logged out and turned off the computer. Life was good again.

Then Monday morning...I logged into my account, no problem. Answered e-mails, paid a couple of bills. Then, in the middle of a 4-hour meeting...my phone (both work and cell) started to ring off the hook. Am I okay? Where am I? Yikes...sorry, but you are already logged on! So I spent the rest of the day trying to do work AND change passwords to various accounts. Do you think I have a written record of all the different accounts? Of course not! I'm supposed to be "green". And have you ever tried to think of a complicated password using numbers and letters, and oh, some sites don't accept sympbols, when you're under stress and in a hurry? And do you think I remember that password today?

So, it's Tuesday morning...and I'm still in Delaware and on pins and needles. Although the e-mail account has been recovered, I don't feel comfortable. All my contact information is gone, some of my files have been deleted, recent e-mails have been wiped out. Whether Google did that when they recovered my account, I don't know. I think there's more to it than just changing my password.

The one thing I did learn (aside from being very vulnerable) is that I have many friends. A lot more than I knew. People who really care. If it weren't for that, I would have surely lost it yesterday...

No comments:

Post a Comment