Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mountain Biking


With the windy forecast (15-25 mph) it seemed like a good day to ride off-road. Besides, I've been meaning to get out on the mountain bike and swore I would the last time I rode, but road biking got in the way. So I decided I'd do the Trail Spinners 5th Annual Mountain Bike Jamboree at Fair Hill. I'm out of touch with the mountain bike scene and was surprised at how many people I didn't know! I saw Kris Kuss and her boyfriend, and afterwards I ran into Greg Wood. But out the hundreds of people I saw today, that was about it for the ones I knew.

I started out with the intermediate group. I'm an intermediate rider with beginner skills so I knew it wouldn't be long before I was off the back...and I was. I rode a little while with a man who was 10 years older than me, but then he decided to cut it short. I've decided not to get any older. He was somewhat cranky with me when I bobbled and was partially blocking the trail. He told me it was a stupid place for me to stop. I chalked up his crankiness to being old.

So, most of the ride was solo. Not a big deal - the trail was marked. Besides, I'm used to riding solo. It gave me a chance to ride at my pace and not have to worry about holding anyone up or playing catch up. Fair Hill is such a huge place and I had forgotten what a wonderful place it is to ride. I regret not stopping along the way to take some pictures.

I finished up earlier than I expected, so I decided to go back out with one of the beginner groups. Okay, so I'm a beginner rider with begintermediate skills...

Lots of food at the end...well, at least for some. They had such a good turnout they ran out of food about an hour after they started serving! And beer (Dogfish) which I think there was plenty of. And several displays - Wooden Wheels, Eastern Mountain Sports, Garrison's Cyclery.

A fun day!

No comments:

Post a Comment